As you all know Dropbox made a huge hit when it got launched way back in 2007. There is no need to talk about it because as you know it better so I will straight forward go on to the topic, but before that for newbies let me give you some basic knowledge about Dropbox. Dropbox is actually a free service that is being offered so that you can bring your stuffs such as photos, music & videos at one place and share them anywhere in the world.
If I am not wrong then the current numbers show that around 50 million users across every continent use dropbox in order to have their stuff available 24/7. Apart from this it provides convenience, secure and easy way to share our stuffs which is very much essential in order to maintain user’s data privacy.
If you have heard or not then last July there was a security breach for dropbox where user id’s and passwords were leaked by some third party websites which resulted in more security features of dropbox and helpful in keeping our account safe. So now after a month of waiting Dropbox has now added an extra feature basically said as two step verification that is to be verified by the desired user on his own.
For each and every new device you use to access Dropbox, you’ll have to enter your current password and a security code and the security code will be sent to you on your mobile via sms using an authenticator app. Currently the Dropbox supports Google Authenticator, Amazon WS MFA (Android only), and Authenticator (Windows Phone 7).
How to enable Dropbox two-step verification
- First of all log in to your Dropbox account from a Web browser.
- Now click on the user menu present in the top-right corner and proceed to Security tab.
- Here click the “change” link next to “Two-step verification.” After entering your password, you’ll be prompted to pick a method of receiving authentication codes in the future.
- If you choose sms service,then you will have to provide your mobile number.
- In the case of mobile authenticators, you will have to enter manually a code for Dropbox so it can provide security codes to you.
- Enter the six digit code that you receive from sms or mobile authenticator app into the website.
- Now click enable for two step verification and finally you are done.
This is something that was to be implemented before but still then adding an extra security is always better because you never know what are the things that you are going to be uploading and the files that you upload may contain data linking to other sites. If it gets leaked then your all accounts may get into trouble. As for now we are safe but this will not last longer because hackers are always trying to hack such websites unless untill dropbox take necessary steps from time to time.